Data Visualization Engineer
Day Rate: £350 to £400 depending on experience
This mass media company with over 18 household name brands is looking for a Data Visualisation Engineer to build out their infographic capability
Coming in as somewhat of a hybrid role, this media company are looking for someone with R experience.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
* In collaboration with journalists and editors you will create an infographic component library that will visualise the essence of stories we cover.
* You have the proven ability of conceiving a data story around patterns you have identified in datasets, as well as being comfortable executing on a story and solution already determined.
* You have the knowledge and expertise to know when to use which form of data visualisation to tell a story. You know the difference between a histogram, scatterplot or area chart, and exactly when to deploy them to show distribution, correlation or change over time.
* You have strong UI, interaction and typographic skills to allow you to create on brand infographics in a cross platform, mobile first responsive landscape. You have the design skills to know when to go simple, or when to create an immersive interactive.
* You know when and how to collaborate with UX and research to validate designs and usability. You know the value of iterating on a component, AB testing, and qual research, and relish the opportunity to bring these processes to your work.
* You have the responsibility and expertise to distil data to create elegant and engaging story-telling infographics that work responsively across multiple platforms and devices.
* You keep up to date with infographic best practices, and will own the responsibility to evangelise on the value of data-viz to the brand, within the team, and to the wider business.
* Set up, own and maintain the info-graphics style guide.
* Create templates to streamline basic chart work, and provide best practice process and workflow guidelines to produce info-graphics.
Essential Skills & Requirements:
5+ years experience as a Data Viz Engineer, with a strong understanding of what works across multiple channels.
* Have a strong talent for engineering on-brand infographics that tell a story, engage the user and add value to the content proposition. You have a portfolio that proves it.
* Experience collecting and cleaning data, with regards to best journalistic practices.
* Extensive development experience with technologies such as R, D3, Canvas, HTML5, CSS.
* Good engineering habits, including commenting code and using version control (Git).
* An organised problem solver with the talent to simplify and translate complexity into crisp, elegant and accessible solutions.
* Demonstrated ability to utilise feedback and direction from Creative and Editorial Leads to generate multiple explorations and iterate on components.
* Understand the value of UX research and user centered design practices. You are able to evaluate user research, testing and feedback, and allow it to inform your work.
* Document and communicate work efficiently and effectively.
* Command of standard design applications (i.e. Sketch, Figma, Adobe CS) is desirable but not essential
* Agile environment experience, working collaboratively within a cross-functional team as well as being self-led. Enjoy working with editorial and marketing to make your solutions a reality.
* Strong understanding of digital platforms (including social and website publishing platforms), along with a good knowledge of web usability & accessibility, digital trends & how websites are put together.
* 5+ years experience as a Data Viz Engineer, with a strong understanding of what works across multiple channels.
* Previous experience of working in a publishing environment is a big positive
* Interest in innovative storytelling formats, A.R., V.R., or 3-D
Contact: Tayler Thomas